Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Welcome to Rhetoricville, U.S.A

On an ordinary Tuesday night, as I finished up reading the third chapter of John D. Ramage’s book entitled, “Rhetoric,” my mind was in a whirlwind of new thoughts and a million different perspectives (as usual). Amidst these thoughts, I fell right to sleep. This is where the REAL journey of rhetoric began…
As I awoke, I felt the soft, warm sheets of my bed and felt a bit disoriented but comfortable as could be. I was drifting off to sleep when oddly enough; I heard the old yet familiar tune of an old carousal softly in the distance. My heart began to beat a little faster as I opened my eyes in confusion. “WHAT?!? Where am I?!?” I screamed…no one answered. This must be a bad dream, I thought, as sat on my bed, in the middle of an amusement park. I closed my eyes completely frightened, hoping to this was all a dream and I would wake up, laughing at the bizarre situation, in University Place. I closed my eyes tightly for several minutes, and nothing happened. There I was, stuck in the same place I woke up only minutes earlier. Frustrated and confused, I got up from my bed and walked towards the odd melody that is getting louder and louder as I got closer. Before me was an old carousal. All of the sudden as the carousal turned I spotted a man in a suit come around the turn. I was struck cold with confusion and fear when this cheery man came up to me and shook my hand. We struck up a conversation and I asked him where I was and how to get back to Kutztown. He answered simply by asking me, “well the route home depends on whether you are a serious person or a rhetorical person, so, what are you?” Completely thrown off by his question, I gave him a blank stare, and realized that this question was posed in the book I was reading before I fell asleep. Without much thought, and wanting to get home, I answered, “Well I suppose I’m a rhetorical person.” The man just pointed towards the direction of a door labeled “RHETORIC” in large lettering. I turned back to the man in the suit and he waved me on while saying, “Enjoy your trip! I hope you find out where you’re going!” As I walked through the door I walked right into a town that looked as if it could be named “Pleasantville.” Amazed at my completely new location I turned back around only to find the door behind me completely gone- as if it never existed. So I walked on the road ahead, searching for a sign of some kind, or someone to direct me.

: ) hope everyone enjoyed the first section... comments are welcomed!

No comments: