Sunday, September 16, 2007

lazy sundays

So, the syllabus seems to be confusing the hell out of everyone, including myself. I'm going to start with assignment part one as my blog post and I'm assuming that assignment part two is our rough draft? ah I don't know so if anyone could clear me up on what is required in the rough draft it would be much appreciated! Ok now for a little Ramage… : )

We must first ask ourselves, what makes up an identity of a person? Is it what they do for a living? Is it determined by factors such as likes or dislikes? I feel as though Ramage produces a clear explanation of identity in terms of considering all aspects- both inherited or acquired (pg. 42). The description of identity as being “multidimensional” made a lot of sense. In fact, I found it to be a good way to create a definition of identity. The readymade identity made me a little aggravated that others could determine a person’s identity off of assumptions that effect each person in somewhere public, such as the workplace. It can even effect what we think of ourselves because we care what others think of us and let people make their judgment call on who they think we are. However, the dimension I found to be most interesting was the constructed identity, which is our determination of ourselves that we have been ascribed to since birth. We follow the basic models around us and choose to follow or reject them for ourselves. I was curious about the given identity because it seemed to be the one that was the most disappointing. Basically, after reading the text, I felt as though the given identity limited us to what goals we are ALOUD to create in life. Ramage basically reveals that everything in our life is affected by “genetic family structure; the time, place, and circumstances of our birth; and our pasts,” and those boundaries represent what we are able to partake in during our life.

No comments: