Wednesday, September 26, 2007

marketing mayhem

Sad but true, we are all drawn to the bright colors on the television screen late at night during infomercial hour. I found persuaders to be interesting documentary, addressing many of the real problems of over saturation within our media. More times than you’d like to think, we are drawn into staring at the twinkling billboards along the road, we all do it we can’t help it, there seriously everywhere. But as millions of people compete for our attention, it’s extremely difficult to separate yourself from the others. So many of these advertisers stoop to morally sketchy means of getting our attention. By showing the inner workings of many big advertising firms the persuaders was really able to address some major issues in modern marketing industry both morally, and physiological. These sketchy extremes like building projection and other extents people are willing to go to capture our attention is really the disturbing truth behind modern media.

I’m an electronic media major here at Kutztown, big mistake that was. After two semesters of learning about pretty much everything the persuaders covered and then some, I’ve realized that this business is not for me. Marketing has always been closely tied to rhetoric, by the means of persuading a consumer to buy a product. It all seems too much on the BS side, and I’ve recently decided changing majors, to what I don’t know. Maybe if Ramage were around, he’d categorize me as more of a “serious” person, I don’t know. Damn, look what this book does to your sense of human. Just found myself cracking a Ramage joke…

No comments: