Sunday, September 09, 2007

Fashionably late, as always.

Honestly, I am usually good with computers and technology and figuring things out, but tonight, I’ve had no such luck. Especially with the fact that you showed us how to post a blog IN CLASS last Tuesday, I should be more than aware of how to post a to our class blog. But nope, it is five minutes to twelve on the day that the assignment is due, and I am scrambling to try to find out where to post. I completely understand if you take points off for my being late in turning in the assignment, but I assure you, once I get acquainted with how to actually post, it will never happen again. I think I need to, as Theodore Roethke stated, “…find my way by going where I have to go”. I, Brittanie DiMura, a junior Secondary Education major, find that most of my life is developed on the trial and error approach, which unfortunately, most circumstances lay in the error category.

I would just like to say, that I love Ramage. He is awesome. He discusses the topics the way I often think about them: sometimes backwards, sometimes forwards, sometimes round about, sometimes inside out; I really enjoyed his writing style and technique. I was almost intimidated by his introduction and the way he described that he was going to explain rhetoric (I will not tell you what it is, but what it is not, and what it is like…) but as he went along, I understood his approach and appreciated it. The way he introduced rhetoric was pretty unconventional—usually the initial topic of a book is not the ideas opposing the main idea (and the title) of the work, but with this, Ramage demonstrates his bold and daring approach from the get-go.

The description of the opposing viewpoints thoroughly laid out the idea of rhetoric, and the explanation of what rhetoric isn’t, as was Ramage’s aim most likely, proceeded to give me more insight into what rhetoric actually is. By considering how rhetoric opposes so-called “real disciplines” or Socratic viewpoints, Ramage evoked my consideration of what category I actually fell into. And, consequently, I’d have to say that my vote is now cast in the rhetoric direction. I never realized the capacity I had for rhetoric until I read this chapter. When Ramage discussed the idea that rhetoric can stand for multiple stances at once, I immediately could relate because I am so gray on so many areas of conflict that face the lives of young adults today. While many can proclaim their stance as liberal or conservative, I find that I can argue in either direction on any debatable topic, just as though I personally stood for either position myself, which many times I can’t say that I do. My way of thinking is not unlike that of rhetoricians, and thus, they have enabled me to feel as though I may finally have a place in this world besides an insane asylum.



^^^The above was written a little less than a week ago, and I have finally found out how to post to this blog as opposed to some random one that I found that I created by accident. So, maybe I will actually maybe be able to do things on time from now on. I realized that I didn't thoroughly introduce myself, so I'll proceed to do that now.
Like I said, I'm Brittanie DiMura, and I'm a junior Secondary Ed. English major. I live on campus and have for the past two years. I also played rugby for the past two years, which I loved, but this semester, due to scheduling conflicts, I unfortunately won't be able to play. I never played before college, but after randomly joining the team freshman year, I realized that I have a bunch of pent up aggression--most likely from being bullied by my older brother all my life.
Speaking of which, I am the youngest of my three siblings, who are significantly older than me, which results in my having six amazing nieces and nephews. I have two wonderful, ridiculously conservative, traditional Christian parents, and my upbringing has contributed to my strong devotion to my faith today. I am involved in Kutztown Christian Fellowship and I've lead a women's Bible study for the past three semesters. If anyone is interested in coming, this semester I'm leading one with a wonderful girl named Amy in the SUB coffee shop Monday nights at 9:30PM. I also work at the bookstore, so I'll probably be seeing all you English majors more than once this semester there. Last semester I needed twenty-seven books! Another passion of mine is music, and this semester I joined AfterHours, which is an AMAZING jazz vocal group on campus (if you've ever been to one of their concerts, you'd concur...).
My favorite author is Dostoevsky, although Tolstoy is a close second; Russian lit is definitely my top literary indulgence. I'm really drawn to thorough, analytical writing, which is why C.S. Lewis, although not Russian, peaks my interest as well.
I think that pretty much covers it...anything else you're wondering about you'll just have to ask me about.

No comments: