Monday, September 03, 2007

Rambling Ramage

Ramage did a good job of both keeping my attention and confusing me. I'll start out with the sections I enjoyed and understood. I loved how he used a conversational tone and he never once gave out an answer point blank. These two techniques combined, held my interest and forced me to think. I also thought that his use use of the "Anti-Rhetorical Spokesperson" was extremely clever. Ramage started out by introducing this persona to show how rhetoric is an essential part of life and that one must even use rhetoric to denounce it. His use of metaphor was also helpful in most cases. The images of fast food versus slow cooking especially stuck out in my mind and they really helped to drive the concepts of action versus motion home
As much as I enjoyed Ramage's writing style, especially compared to that of a normal text book, I felt like there were times when he was just rambling away. For example take a look at the section "Before There was Method, There was Hodos." Ramage first breaks down the history and meaning behind the word method but then he goes on to discuss the concepts of "tao" and "dharma." I understand that they all have a similar meaning which is "way" but I had a difficult time understanding what all this has to do with Rhetoric.
Overall I think that Ramage has a lot of interesting ideas so far, but I'm worried that I'll get more confused as he introduces more meat in the text to come.

No comments: