Monday, September 10, 2007

oh Ramage..

Although I am still a bit unclear as to what Rhetoric is, I can definitely say I enjoyed the second chapter more than the first. In chapter 2 I think Ramage was trying to relay the message that someones identity is not only who we see on the outside but its a combination of our exterior, interior and even underlying things that the person, themselves, may not be fully conscious of. I felt Ramage made a good point when he said that who we are is just as important as who we are not. When I read that section, it reminded me of when I was in high-school and did something wrong.

"Yes dad, I did try one cigarette, but at least I am not a pregnant."
Although my dad would then them simply reply,
"Yes Renee, I am grounding you, but at least I don't beat you and your mother."

In terms of what Ramage was saying about identity, I thought the section about Harley's was a good example of how you cannot judge a book by its cover. When we think of motorcyclists, we commonly think of rebellious, long-hair men. However that's only a stereotype when in actuality most Harley bikers are middle-aged corporate men. When I read Ramage's description about how one may interpret a word or situation differently from someone else, it was interesting. Yes, I am sure everyone, by now, understands people do things differently, however those misinterpretations can seriously alter perceptions, stereotypes or judgements we may have towards other people. Its amazing how deep Ramage can go into a single thought about something. So many different things make up how a person thinks. People are not different just because their genetics are unique; its the locations people were raised in, the stories they know and the experiences that they have that truly make someone unique. With everyone, in this world being so unique ,its amazing we can actually agree on anything.

As I read Ramage, I truly enjoy it. Its entertaining and the book is similar to conversations that I have with friends. However that is the only problem, Ramage is not my friend and I cannot talk back to the book with my comments. Its rather frustrating. Its interesting to hear his views, however I often notice the urge to want to talk back to my book. (Yes, I said talk to my book, yes, I am a little silly at times.) Anyway I really am looking forward to our discussion in class tomorrow to ask questions and share some comments.

P.S. Does anyone else notice that Ramage likes to make up words? lol

No comments: