Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Hi, my name is (insert catchy but descriptive noun here)

Yes, I am also confused on what was due this week, so I felt that blog would be the best bet. As I continued with the reading of Chapter 2 I was pleased with what I read. Ramage's ideas of identity were eye opening. I would imagine that most of us would love to skip the awkward screaming your name to someone at a party and instead just blurt out a noun that would in turn cover all the intricate details that make you, you. As a high school student, I did what most kids my age did and got a part-time job at the local grocery store. Until then I only gave my name to people upon meeting them for the first time but when forced to wear a name tag, my name became public to every hungry shopper during my five hour shift. No big deal, right? Wrong. I think this is a feeling that only makes sense if you've been through it. When some weird old man says, "Hi Erin, working hard?" it catches you off guard. At first, I would run through my mental roll-a-dex trying to match a face with a name until I realized that this person didn't know me at all. It was during these little encounters that made me realize how personal your name really is.
So, what would have happened if I decided to just pick a name and put it on name tag and what name would I choose? Over my four years of working at the grocery store, I used names as Lousie, Rosa, Muffin, Karen and found great joy in having people address me simply by what I had decided I wanted to be called.
I think
Ramage brings up a great point that our identity can be described by what we are but it is also important to describe ourselves as what we are NOT. When reading this section, a simple Bible passage came to mind. At many weddings the reading goes, "Love is never jealous it is not boastful" and so on and so on, listing all the things that love is and what it is not. I agree with this notion that it is just as important to know what we are not as a way to know what we are, for lack of a better description.
Happy reading!

No comments: