Monday, September 17, 2007

Two assignments and confused chapter one and two and what is due?

So, I've read chapter one and two, but I'm confused on why my blog from chapter one is not posted. (Also does anyone know what is do this week? The syllabus says a paper, but I do not know how to set up it up or actually respond to it. )I'm going to type it over and maybe I'll find it later on the blog. Anyways, I find Ramage's views on Rhetoric to be very interesting and enlightening, however there are parts that tend to lose me.
In chapter one I really like how he included where the idea of Rhetoric derived from, and the different myths including the Greek myth which i found very interesting. Greek myth stimulates my mind I'm a big fan of it because I think the stories are really out there. When I had Professor Featherstone we really based a lot of discussion on Rhetoric so i have a lot of views on the subject. I reallize that Rhetoric is not just a basis of writing, reading, language, and expression; it also has a lot to do with social interactions, public displays, and origin. I have a lot of respect for this topic.
Rhetoric gives us purpose in our writing because it helps us defend our words, and come up with complete thoughts instead of random objectives. In chapter one I found Ramage to be a bit drab in a few places but it really started to pick up towards the end of the chapter; it had a lot of examples of decisions, being impartial, and knowing what language is really saying. It kept my attention span, but chapter one was a bit of review from a previous class.

Chapter two:
Well, I would have really never came up with the examples that Ramage came up with for Rhetoric and Identity. I realized that they were both different unities both I did not grasp that the fact that they need each other to survive and how they relate to each other in different aspect of life, language, and individuality. I took this chapter as an eye opener to the world of "true identity" and Rhetoric as the universal language.
I love the rules and principles this chapter sets up. In the idea of the example of Arthur Miller's "Death of a Salesman," it brings up this construct of Identity through society and finding ones ultimate place (Ramage 56). Right after this example it gives the example that of willie and the manipulation mankind places on so many in society and how they respond(57). Basically it goes on to say that no one person can take full credit for their identity because it takes society to help scalp ones ideas, values, and social relations. That was the part of the chapter i really took to heart and will affiliate with this chapter.
If anyone finds my other blog on here about chapter one that would be great or if you can tell me what is due that would be awesome.

No comments: