Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Ramage 3

Here is the first few paragraphs of my essay!!! See you in class!!


Sitting down to begin my journey into the word of rhetoric according to Mr. Ramage began with a sense of reservation and then accompanied by a strong sense of boredom. Although I was hesitant about exploring what intellectual stimulation I would gain by reading the book, I tried to remain optimistic as my travel unfolded. I began reluctantly but tried to stay open-minded and optimistic. I opened the first page and started a long and tedious expedition into the mind of John D. Ramage.

My first stop on my way through the user’s guide concerned the basic idea of rhetoric and what essentially it means. “Rhetoric can only hold sway in an imperfect world where words can have more than one meaning, where truth is not universally acknowledged, and where people are vulnerable to unprincipled, persuasive gambits” (4). As my eyes passed over this line, I got a sense that rhetoric was known in our imperfect world and we use rhetoric as a way to use words that have more than one meaning. Through Ramage’s wordy and sometimes incoherent responses, I was fulfilled with this idea that rhetoric would encompass things that our imperfect world holds as truths. For my first glimpse into the world of rhetoric, I began to understand what the author was saying by applying this anti-rhetorical quote.

No comments: