Wednesday, January 17, 2007

the Bones

My name is Nate and I'm just here to do the job. Everyone pushes their own ideas.

It's around 17 degrees outside and here in my room on Noble Street I'm drinking a gin and tonic with three cubes floating in it. Actually, it's my second. Maybe that says something about who I am. Maybe not.

Two summers ago I get fed-up with the slash-and-burn mentality that being a business major keeps you in, so I went against every survival instinct my body could muster and switched to Pro Writing. Now my future income will likely be a quarter of what it could have been, and if I can manage to keep the heat on during the winter months, I should be happy with this choice until I die. Maybe that says something about who I am. Maybe not.

Interestingly, I have a similar interest in the relationship between literature and democracy as Mahoney. But instead of studying it, I've always been content taking it for granted. Libraries are where revolutions are born. Education is freedom. Religion is the opiate of the masses, etc. It's always been clear enough that if a country is educated it will think for itself. And if it thinks for itself, it won't tolerate oppressive rule. I like taking that for granted. Maybe that says something about who I am. Maybe not.

I don't know what my favorite food, color, song or movie is, but I have opinions about everything. Maybe that says something. Maybe not.

In the past six months I've taught myself to play the guitar because it makes me feel smarter and more useful. Also, I've heard women like guys who play guitar. Maybe that says something. Maybe not.

I want desperately to be a journalist. Desperately. I believe there is no better way to change the world than informing the people who live in it. I don't give a shit whether print newspapers die off completely and the Internet takes over or if they make a huge comeback somehow and regain their prominence of old. What matters to me is what mattered to Horatio Alger. And that does say something about who I am. I'm just here to do the job.


By the way, check out my blog and leave comments. It's good for the soul.

No comments: