Thursday, January 18, 2007

exactly his point

Rhetoric...is it art? Is it nonsense? Is it even worth studying? Ramage pulls questions like these out from our core, the part that demands a definition for who we are, what we are, and what we're not. The part of a human being that is always en route to another solution, to another discovery, to another road block. It is constantly searching. Which is, in part, why I believe so many people dismiss Ramage's wordy and "pretentious" rhetoric jargon. What is rhetoric? I don't know, and at the very least Ramage thinks he knows. Maybe his sole purpose with this book was to make the reader angry at his lack of understanding and meeting our needs. Yes, the passages ramble on and on...Yes, the introduction was 30 pages and manages to raise more questions than answers...but maybe that's the point of this book, and maybe that's the point of rhetoric. Words are usually more or less failable. Plain and simple, language fails. There may be such a thing as the perfect word choice, but words themselves may never fully explain human emotion, interaction and reaction. Is that rhetoric? I don't know, but I think remaining open while experiencing this book allows for more than just frusterated ranting at Ramage's word choices and metaphores. Like I said, Maybe the only purpose hidden inside these 211 pages is to make the reader think, and ask questions. Maybe, all Ramage wants to do is piss off a bunch of college students while he sits in a corner with his other prick philosophy buddies and sips a latte, quietly laughing into the foam. No, Ramage is not all that coherent, and sometimes his attempts at clarity only act as another vessel of confusion, but you have to admit, he makes you think.

Ok, so still haven't beaten down this whole procrastination thing (this is my first post), maybe I should get that looked at. My name is Heather, I'm a junior professional writing major, with a minor in literature. My favorite drink is anything in which I can't taste the alcohol in it, I especially enjoy a malabu bay breeze, yummmmm. Hopefully, if I can meet the right people and make the right connections, I'll be a published author. Of what? I'm not sure, probably short stories and a novel or two. It would be so totally tubular (I was watching an old 80's movie last night with a very young Nicholas Cage, and every other word was "totally tubular." I love the 80's, and often trick myself into believing that I am a child of that era instead of the boring 90's, because I spent 5 good years of my life in that decade. Anyway, so I decided to bring back totally tubular. Use it.) Let me start again, it would be so totally tubular to be lucky enough to live off what I write, and I know that few people get to that level, but someone has to be paid the big bucks to write, right? Why not me? Oh and ps- if it's going to be this cold, it should snow! Whoever is responsible in that department should get the ball rolling here, at least make these gray skies worth it!

No comments: