Monday, January 22, 2007

Chapter 2 :Ramage

Here we go again with a monotonous stream of words pouring out onto the pages.This chapter, by no surprise, has once again made my tired and at best confused and frustrated. It is not that I do not understand what Ramage is trying to say it is the way he tries to convey it.
I do understand that there is associations between language and identities, but i get lost in Ramage's drawn out vocabulary.
"One can do little or virtually nothing about one's identity" (43) This, i think, is a very true statement. As i read this line, flashes of movies were playing in my head and i realized that just like actors try to invent themselves into new character's for new films, their first or most publicly known movie or TV show character stays with them through their careers. For example, taking the character Rachel from FRIENDS, it is hard to watch Jennifer Aniston play any other roll then spoiled and stuck up Rachel Greene. Or to watch Tom Cruise in a murder roll when he is clearly still MAVERICK from Top Gun to many people, or Julia Robert's be known as anyone else but "Pretty Women"
This much applies to identity in my eyes because No matter what i do or how i try to reinvent myself, my true "identity" does not change. People see me in a certain way and no matter what i try to do to change that or how i choose to reinvent myself, it will not change how people see me and my identity. People are multidemnsional and that distinguishes ones identity and can not be changed.
I Particularly liked that line in the book and wish all the lines he wrote were as noninvasive!
See you in class!

1 comment:

K. Mahoney said...

Two things I get interested in here..."monotonous stream of words" and "drawn out vocabulary." How so?