Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I petition for a user's guide for this user's guide... Ramage needs an abridged edition!

So I've been slowly chiseling away at the Ramage text -- and I do mean slowly -- and I've finally devised a way to get through it. Not that this is easy. I have to arm myself with two highlighters, an indefinite dosage of caffeine, and an environment lacking all things that pertain to sensory stimuli, but it is possible.

The sad part: I accidentally skipped two whole pages of the reading without even realizing it... what does that say?

Anyway, I have no idea what Ramage is trying to tell me. Much to my dismay, every time I feel as though I might grasp some sound idea of what he is writing, it's too late, and he's already moved on to some other irrational topic that only he seems to understand.

Granted, the man's a walking dictionary. He's already given me half the words I need for my vocab journal list for Copy & Line Editing. But Ramage's use of his immense vocabulary is like putting a rocket engine on a soap box car; it screams disaster.

Not to mention Ramage is living in a world of his own (possibly one where he is the stuff legends are made of). Focus is so hard to find that I almost wish he would have just given me the definition of rhetoric in fifty words or less. I know it would have cut down on my reading/hair pulling time, and I definitely would appreciate not having to struggle to read through this muddy mess of a book.

In spite of this, I am now determined to read this book cover to cover. I'm not exactly thrilled about the thought, but I'm up for the challenge.

Let's just hope the ink doesn't smear from all the tears I'll be shedding in the process. This is one painful read.

No comments: