Monday, January 22, 2007

Blahh

I guess I should introduce myself considering I have yet to post on here. My name's Mary Kate and no I don't have a sister named Ashley. I'm a Professional Writing major. I'm 19. I spend way too much time watching movies and being online. I am full of useless information mainly concerning celebrity gossip. I hate talking on the phone, I wish I could play an instrument, I like all kinds of music although I am not a big fan of country. I love to write, obviously and would love to write for a magazine someday. Let's see what else...I hate spiders. I think that about sums it up.

Now about Ramage-I just read Lorrie's post and it was actually exactly what I was going to say. I had to turn off any distraction in my room, sit in complete silence and lock my door so no one would interrupt me just to read the first page. It took me at least an hour and I'm generally a fast reader. I cannot concentrate, this book makes me want to fall asleep. I'm getting frustrated with myself as well for not being able to understand this like I think I should. I also agree with what Lorrie said about Ramage constantly quoting other's work. It doesn't make him sound more intelligent, it just means he's good at researching and could not think of his own words to put in there.
I do think that what Ramage had to say with people inferring your personality or intelligence based on your vocation, I think that is something people do. He definetely had some interesting points in the chapter, if only he could stop drowning his words in unnecessary vocabulary.

1 comment:

K. Mahoney said...

Now that I'm reading through all the posts more closely, I am becoming more and more interested in the hatred of "vocabulary" that's building. Any thoughts?