Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Research Project Idea

I think I'm going to stick with my Facebook (the no-more paper 2) topic, but expand it to blog culture in general, using Facebook as just one of my frames of reference. Back when I was brainstorming on what to write my second paper about, I thought it would be interesting to investigate the different frames Facebook operates in(academic, informal, social) and the types of discourse that are associated with each.

Since I need to expand my topic, I want to look at other kinds of blogs (like xanga and MySpace) to see what sort of needs these fulfill (like identity creation). Also, I want to see what happens when blog frames clash (Facebook bashing professors, or the police searching for incriminating pictures on online profiles). Overall, I want to find out why people get so obsessed with this online world.

I have several articles written on Facebook, but I haven't started researching on other blogs, yet. I wrote a paper on Internet Addiction last semester, so maybe some of that research will be useful to me, as well.

Hi ho Silver away!

No comments: