Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The Propaganda State

There isn't much in this chapter that I haven't written about or that we've spoken about in class, so I guess I will comment on the subject of 'tracking public attitudes' on pages 190-191. I think that this new-wave technology, while helpful for politicians and government officials, is proving evasive and is limiting our freedom of privacy. We can no longer voice inner opinions about government proceedings and decisions without having our opinions and thoughts turned into a manipulative web created to get the vote, to make one heated or enthusiastic, and to tear into our emotions allowing them to take advantage.

I remember when watching the movie in class when the people tracked which party one was for, what issues one supported or disagreed with, and then created videos, ads and speeches to coerce to one on their front porch. That totally disgusted me. If anyone would show up on my front porch claiming to know what issues I supported and then to produce videos right there on the spot that supported or disagreed with my stance; utterly ridiculous. I cannot believe people actually allowed the person to show them the clips, how they could allow themselves to listen and watch the videos. I would have shut the door in their face or told them I'm not interested. It's almost like a Jehovah's Witness; who actually sits and listens to those people? I guess that's what our government is turning into. This fact is sad and disappointing to the mantra of the America society and our government. Blah.

No comments: