Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Paper Ideas

In the past month two accidents have happened in my hometown of Harrisburg, PA involving two different girls who got extremely drunk downtown and ended up falling off buildings to their deaths. In the first accident, the girl's boyfriend was holding her by her wrists from the window of an apartment building, and she slipped and fell. The second girl was attempting to jump from the top of a parking garage to a bank building with her friends, when she fell ten stories in a gap inbetween. The governor responded to both accidents citing them basically as daredevil, drunk behaviors, but I think there's more to it than that. I want to examine the parent's reactions... from what I've read they've said things like, "My daughter wouldn't do something like this, she was responsible and too smart for this." and the reactions of the governor. I think it has a lot to do with moving from the frame of home and how the girls acted there as opposed to how they acted in the frame of downtown with their friends. I want to find out if these occurances are going to keep repeating, I also think it's interesting that they are both female, and I possibly want to look at how gender plays a role in these situations.

No comments: