Thursday, April 13, 2006

Paper on who you are

The focus of my paper is identity, or, rather, who we are and how we portray ourselves and then the truth of who we are. One of my main points of interest into he last few months has been the case of Patricia Hearst those of you who do not know, Patricia Hearst was the heiress of a billionaire magazine publisher. From what my understanding she was rather shleltered and, outside of her rich social circle from high school, she wasn't too much into the events from the world. This all changed, however, when she was 19 years old. In the 70's there was a guerilla group called the Symbionese Liberation Army who kidnapped Ms. Hearst and held her for $6 million dollars ransom and release of members of their group.

not getting anywhere which either the ransom or the release a while went past and suddenly Hearst shows up at a bank heist handling an assault rifle and dressed in the garb of the SLA. She was spouting out the same freedom fight jargon that the other members of the group spouted. She was a full fledged member of the SLA and as such, she was arrested and tried and sentenced as a member. After ward she has said that she was brainwashed and soon went to acting similarly the wasy she did before. I want to look into what makes her identity, what makes her go from innocent girl to gun-toting guerilla and then back again. I also am thinking of focusing a little bit on entertainment briefly with Wrestler Mick Foley (who went by four different Identities, each different drastically) and rapper Eminem, who has gone by three distinct Identities. One is himself(Marshall Mathers), who he plays during his interviews he gives on MTV and other sources, then he is Eminem. He's serious when he's this persona. He does the song 'Stan' and the various songs about his wife Kim form this persona. Then he's the Slim Shady, a sillier and almost comedic version of himself. alot of his hits are done through this persona.
Ill work from some of the ideas based early in the Ramage book. This is a base of what I'd like to do. Ill post more into his idea later.

(PS: I tried to do some wikipedia stuff onto he SLA and Hearst but I could not get it to work)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there. I stumbled across your blog through an invisible tracker on my xanga and it seems as though you visited mine. I can only assume it was for the previous essay about blogging. As a member of xanga, myspace, and facebook, I must admit that I am in it for the social high. I'm not sure if your blog here was intended for strangers to come across, but I've been reading it, and I like what I see. I think this is a terrific premise for a class and hope that you keep it up.

K. Mahoney said...

Ghost Mick...One thing to keep in mind about the blog paper. Remember, unlike most of our blog postings, you are to consider a "public" audience for your paper. You need to take in consideration the difference between writing primarily for class and for an audience who could be, potentially, anybody (see previous comment for example).

Unlike most of your blog postings, you should also consider issues of form, and surface issues like spelling and sentence construction. Just thought I'd give you a little feedback.