Thursday, February 16, 2006

Ramage & SOUA

UGH! This chapter was extremely difficult to get through; so I stopped about 3/4 through and decided my brain was exhausted, my eyes were watering with strain, my mind kept drifitng to...name a topic and it probably hit it, I kept putting it down to get up and pee or get a drink or check my away message and none of it was really making much sense to me. After my frustration with Ramage I decided to read the State of the Union Address. Wow. Well, first of all I hate politics, I can't stand Bush and even when my mind is totally clear, the types of words, sentence structure, topic; I can't grasp it and my mind wanders once again. Especially in times when a lot of exciting things are going on in my life, as is happening right now, my attention cannot stay put on topics of politics, government, difficult sentences, big words, Ramage. Maybe I have A.D.D....actually I think that's quite possible. Anyways.
One quote from Ramage I did like though, and it also applies to nearly all of Bush's persuasion tactics. Here goes, "The function of the argument is to get us fixated on the cause and to ignore the possibility that there are multiple causes or many uncertain links between the putative cause and the putative effect." Well besids the confusion and failed act of looking up what putative means, I came to correlate a great deal of Bush's speech to this form. Bush produces a topic with such vehemence that the audience becomes completely embedded in his words, his idea. The audience becomes victims in his trap to manipulate minds, and they end up thinking that what Bush said is wonderful, the only way to go. Bush is uncertain about much of what he proposes (we all know it's true), yet the way he speaks, the tone he takes on, the words he uses, all convey sureness, allowing room for no other possibilities. This tactic apparently is working well for Bush, he knows it and implements it in every speech he gives.
Well, I have had enough on this topic, Ramage, these bits from past State of the Union Addresses. Apologies for not having a deep, meaningful post. Literally, there is not much else I can say on this assignment before I pull my hair out, so sorry.
!!

No comments: