Saturday, February 04, 2006

Chapter 3-I kind of hate you

I had a hard time getting into chapter three because it seemed as though there was just too much information being thrown in at one time. Not like the first two chapters weren't that way, but at least they were presented in a bit more visually. I'll do the best I can here, though I am somewhat confused. In response to Ramage's comment on dominant belief systems ignoring alternative belief systems and the high price they pay for intolerance... ignoring alternative options in any situation creates headway for negative results. In every situation in life it's important to remain open-minded. Everyone has the right to share their ideas and provide evidence for why their "ways" work for them, but it's never a good idea to try and push yourself and your "ways" on others. There is no truth in that..which is pretty much what propaganda is about. You can't trust it. (for the most part?) No one is going to trust you if you're trying to convince them why they must comply to what you say. Honest communication is the only communication worth communicating! This is why coercion is sometimes a dangerous thing. Rhetoric and persuasion are much more open-ended, and create room for discussion. There is room for possibile rejection in the context of rhetoric and persuasion. Coercion doesn't allow that. I don't know. I hated this chapter. The way I see it... on the continuum of persuasive practices, coercion is evil. I feel like if coercion and persuasion were two different people... coercion would be sucking the energy out of my -self- and not caring about my interests... while persuasion would be trying to bargain with me to steal my money or something..I'd at least know that I had a chance to run away from that situation. sigh I don't know.. I really don't.

No comments: