Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Noam Chomsky Is The Root Of All That Is Good In This World(and this book we are reading)

I have a feeling that everyone is going comment on how this book’s first chapter was written in a more conversational style and how it is more digestible than Ramage. I agree this book great. Then, maybe you’ll go into some detail on how language is used in modern politics, ancient civilizations, novels, dictionaries… but I have to stop and talk about Noam Chomsky who was mentioned in the Introduction. Transformational generative grammar… The man’s a genius!

I’m not even going to comment on the book. I have to tell you about Noam Chomsky. This man turns up in everything I study. He turns up in politics, linguistics, psychology, philosophy… He’s behind everything. You should try playing 12 Degrees of Noam Chomsky. This man has more degrees and academic achievement awards than there are white people in the Winter Olympics. Chomskyan models have been used as a theoretical basis in a lot of fields. The Chomsky hierarchy is often taught in fundamental computer science courses because of its insight into the different types of formal languages. This hierarchy can also be discussed in mathematical terms, and has generated interest among mathematicians. A number of arguments in evolutionary psychology are derived from his research results. I read somewhere that a Nobel Prize laureate in Medicine and Physiology used Chomsky's generative model to explain the human immune system. Nim Chimpsky, a chimpanzee who learned 125 signs in American Sign Language, was named after Noam Chomsky. They named a friggen chimp after this guy. How many chimps are named after you?

Anyway, this guy is the source of all that is intelligent in our modern world. Maybe I’ll post about the actual book tomorrow if you don't cover everything already. Sorry I got off topic, but I can’t get away from this Noam Chomsky.

No comments: