Monday, February 27, 2006

Christina reads Lakoff. Christina eats a salami sandwich.

Because I am taupe, which is not the brightest crayon in the box, I didn't realize this author was a woman till I got to class and everyone was saying "she". Oops.

The Orange Highlighter of Those Who Have Come Before, directed me to a good quote which summarizes a good point, "...as society changes, perception changes; as perception changes, language changes with it."
Even though I understood completely, just from the short bit about masculine and feminine terms, I vaguely wish Lakoff would have gone into it more. (She seems to make lots of good, brief points that I like- but only addresses them for a section before she moves on.)

This chapter dealt a lot with the fact that we often just assume things to be true, but they actually are not. It makes me think. I wonder what our society believes now, what we accept as "common sense" that actually isn't. It's so hard to think of possible examples without sounding like I'm trying to be ridiculous, simply for the sake of being ridiculous.

Reading all of these complications regarding language, I'm trying to become obsessive and over-analyze everything I read and write. It's surprisingly difficult.

1 comment:

silverline said...

I don't care for salami too much.

"...as society changes, perception changes; as perception changes, language changes with it."

insert common sense in that quote as well and what a loverly cocktail we have. So the movement of common sense can be seen as a litmus test for how smart or ignorant society is?