Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Ramage and Bush. My two favorite people.

"There are two ways of thinking about good. One can think of it as the opposite of bad, or one can think of it as the opposite of evil." Ooooh, good quote.
It doesn't have much to do with the State of the Union address and stases and Toulmin, but I liked this quote (p. 113). It and the following paragraph reminded me of another, funny, quote I had heard somewhere. "My mother's obsession with the good scissors always scared me a bit. It implied that somewhere in the house there lurked: the evil scissors."

Looking at Bush's speech, I see that he had a lot of grand statements- claims- and few "qualifiers". Those that were there were grand statements in and of themselves. His warrents were well-phrased, though shaky. I can imagine how they'd be motivating to someone that either shared his ideals, liked Bush, or was present at the address and caught up in the moment. The logistics he used were those that only supported his point. By that, I mean that he never really addressed any opposing viewpoints.
I feel like Ramage already said a lot about the State of the Union address in the context of stases and Toulmin. A lot of what I would say would just be reiterating Ramage. And I really don't want to do that.

I'm really sorry that this post probably makes no sense. I'm so out of it. I saw an internet advertisement that said, "Make Money" and I thought it said "Make Mahoney" and I was confused. I also left my New York Times in a police car.
It's been that sort of day.

No comments: