Monday, February 27, 2006

All Men Are Created Equal

I have never read such and in-depth analysis of Bugs Bunny and William Shakespeare. I didn’t even know there was a difference between the two until this chapter. I mean, wow! “The studies of both Shakespeare and Bugs Bunny tell us who we are: we are creatures who have created both, who need and understand both, who are enhanced by knowing both.” When I read that I was losing touch with Lakoff’s point and the relevance of Bugs and Bill until this little gem: “To deny that either one is relevant to our human experience is to diminish that humanity.” I had no idea that Time Warner was such a powerful force in their quest to exemplify humanity.

Besides that, I like this section’s focus on what is valid and what is not when it comes to language. It’s interesting that words develop as perceptions change. In the book they mentioned sexism and racism. It made me think of Thomas Jefferson sitting down with a quill in hand, writing the Declaration of Independence.

TJ: Yes, yes… we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, *cough, cough* Oh slave boy! Yes, you there. Slave boy, could you fetch me a nice hot cup of tea? Thank you dark one. Where was I? Oh yes… that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. Ah, isn’t that splendid?

I like how Lakoff elaborated on the topic in the chapter. It was very well done. Yes, splendid. And by the way… Ellen was cancelled because the show sucked, not because she is a lesbian.

1 comment:

silverline said...

what a spiffy graphic, it makes the entire chapter clear to me! When Lakoff went into the Bugs and Bill rantings I couldn't help thinking of John Ashbery and his poems "Farm Implements and Rutabagas in a Landscape" and "Daffy Duck in Hollywood."
Basically Ashbery combines "high brow" forms of literature expression that only masters of the craft could create(a sestina: "a poem consisting of six six-line STANZAS and a three-line ENVOY. It makes no use of the REFRAIN. This form is usually unrimed, the effect of RIME being taken over by a fixed pattern of end-words which demands that these end-words in each STANZA be the same, though arranged in a different sequence each time")and blends it with the common persons tastes of Popeye. oh my dubious fun.