Wednesday, February 08, 2006

the PERSUADERS

There are so many different ways for me to branch off on this subject. I'm not sure how long I've been sitting here working on this response, but my mind honestly changes every five minutes about what I could say in response to th is chaos. (I've watched about 10 episodes of Home Movies, listened to about 5 or 6 cds...I'm blinded!) That's what this is! It's craziness. The bullsht is just embedded in every little crevice it can find to manifest itself into. It's a lot like a disease! You are always being sold on some idea. It's true. I'm doing it to you right now by saying that, I think? Yeah, of course it's everywhere; because we are it. The very last line in the movie was "We are all persuaders." To me, that was the most significant point in the whole movie. I mean...I came away from that movie with a lot of different impressions. Part of me was infuriated because, who wouldn't be? We have no real sense of privacy. There was a point in time where interaction was a rare experience that you'd share with someone you'd never met before who was "just passing through" or something of that matter. I don't know... During the medieval times people knew what was going on in their lives and their lives only, for the most part. Communicating with people you weren't around daily wasn't the easiest thing to do, and I don't know.. did anyone care?

But another part of me is just totally thinking "No way, what is going on???" I'm baffled! It's amazing. We are all honestly just... climbing around this big tangled up web of stuff. Everything is just "stuff" after awhile. One of the first things said in the movie was "Every effort to break through the clutter is just more clutter." How true it is. I don't know how else to really explain it but to compare the whole situation to the over abundance of music that is accessible to everyone on this planet. Sure, that's a great thing! I think it's a really great thing! But a lot of it really means nothing. I think a lot of music is extremely amazing and a really important resource to the way that we communicate as a human race... beats, words, rhythms... But like anything else, it ends up becoming tainted somehow. At one point in time...communicating by writing was a reliable thing to do. You could trust what you read; someone very intellectual wrote that piece of literature or news story or whatever... it meant something. Now we're not just publishing stories about things that matter, or even things that are interesting...we publish media about celebrities' lives, like we're ever going to meet those people? I'm not sure, I'm starting to rant here. THe point is. It's all a lot of phoney balogne.

We feed off of all this crazy stuff, regardless if you listen to "good" music or wear "cool" clothes... If you're in fashion/out of fashion...You're still guided by the world around you. You are a product of someone else's idea somehow... And you try to convince people of otherwise, but let's face it, we're all just acting like something... we are all tangled up in this thing together, and if you realize that-you're almost safe. It's like we're all being brainwashed...well I think I know that I'm being brainwashed. That sort of justifies the whole thing to me. Because I sure love cartoons. And they're just as blinding as ...say a Star magazine. But the content appeals to me....as long as I know that my soul is being sucked out of me, I think I'm good to go.

We all have a different way of selling ourselves. Whether we use language as a tool, or physical appeal, or whatever methods we can...we are all persuading each other to believe that what we experience with each other is still very real. Consumerism....

No comments: