Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Mixed Feelings

I understand that we can't stop advertising and that it is difficult, if not impossible to give into some, but I still can't help but be aggravated by the whole thing. They don't care about whether or not we enjoy their product! All they care about is if we buy it or not. If we are supportive consumers. They will tell us anything as long as we buy their item, vote their way, or check their box. They manipulate us everyday, but we are their greatest advertisers. In your classrooms just look around the room. American Eagle? Abercrombie and Fitch? Nike? Does the person sitting next to you have a bottle of Aquafina!? Although aggravated at the situation I still continue to buy their products, vote their way, but I refuse to check any damn box. I agreed very much with one of the previous blogs; we do feel the need to belong. Very much so. We wear the clothes we wear to fit in, drive the cars we drive to look cool, and buy the things we buy for our own individual reasons. So I guess the advertisers can't be completely hated for sounding so ridiculous for "connecting to our emotions."
Did anyone else notice taht during the Spade meeting, while discussing advertising, there were aquafina bottles everywhere? I wonder if Aquafina paid for that! The only thing about the entire movie that I couldn't possibly even begin to accept was the Acxiom corporation. It sort of makes me a little sick to my stomach to know they know so much about me.
And just so everyone knows, I rarely have the priveledge of eating white bread. My family is a bunch of health nuts so there is usually some sort of grain or wheat in my bread. SO when I eat wheat grainy nut bread with my sandwich I usually feel pissed off.

No comments: