Wednesday, February 15, 2006

I hate making titles

Yikes! Just for the record..I drank too much coffee just now. Uh-oh, you know what that means...I'm just spiralling downward on the path that leads to a life-long dependence on drugs. That was probably my favorite point of Ramage's chapter 4. On page 116 he digs into the concept of forbidding children from consuming caffeinated beverages because it could lead to more serious substance-abuse. I suppose I agree with the idea... it's definitely a legitimate point to make... I mean, I feel kind of silly right now... all talkative and whatnot because I consumed a little too much caffeine. A child is likely to notice that feeling and then look for further satisfaction once caffeine doesn't do it anymore...blah dee blah blah.. but, realistically..every situation seen through the eyes of a consequentialist...where's the excitement in that? More importantly, where is the reality in that? It's true, anything is possible.. and when you weigh the odds of a situation...it soon appears that certain situations are more likely than others-to take place... but how is that really living? I don't know, I don't think that it's a good idea to play it so safe that you're fixing things that aren't even broken. This whole viewpoint sort of seems like a big mask for fear, in my opinion. You can stop anything from happening if you take the right precautions...but why go to all that trouble and risk the chance of chaos erupting-when you don't really have to..from reading through Bush's 2003 State of the Union address...I just don't know... for one example-

"Year after year, Saddam Hussein has gone to elaborate lengths, spent enormous sums, taken great risks to build and keep weapons of mass destruction. But why? The only possible explanation, the only possible use he could have for those weapons, is to dominate, intimidate, or attack. "

What? If you ask me... I'd say that maybe there's a possibility that he was just preparing for when all hell breaks loose. Maybe he's just taking the defensive approach to things, and he wants to be prepared for when he's attacked. I mean, there is never just one possible answer to any situation. That's the most obnoxious aspect of Bush's persuasion, in my opinion. There were several points of this speech where Bush seemed so certain that what he said was right, and there was no way around it.

I'm crashing. I don't know, from where I'm sitting...the whole thing looks like one big game. This whole country is one big Monopoly gameboard and we're all just meaningless objects (shoes, thimbles, irons?) trying to buy out the whole establishment.

I am going to end this right here.

No comments: