Thursday, January 24, 2008

Ramage Rage

Okay, I enjoy reading and learning. That's why I am here, attending Kutztown University. However, reading this "textbook" (I use the term loosely here) has tempted me on more than one occasion to toss it out of my fifth story dorm window. If I actually manage to somehow survive this book during this semester, without ripping it to shreds with my teeth, I will consider that a MAJOR accomplishment!

I will agree that this so called "guide" has a few interesting points, facts and examples that intrigue me, such as the river philosophy and the thoughts on identity. The problem is, I have trouble understanding what Ramage is trying to explain because of the complicated and abstract way he describes things, especially Rhetoric itself. I understand the method of trying to explaining what it isn't so we can try and figure out what it is on our own but for a beginner's guide I think that's pushing the limit. Call me lazy or slow, but when I am first learning about a new subject I need it broken down into smaller pieces in words that are easy to understand.

From what I have managed to grasp onto is that persuasion is possibly the core of rhetoric and that it involves a great deal on word choices, tone and style. If I am wrong, then maybe someone else can help me figure it out at a later date.

So essentially I could say I am pretty confused and mentally vulnerable to what Ramage is trying to say but one of my professors here at Kutztown University said that being confused is the best state to be in.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

"Perplexity is the beginning of knowledge." - Kahlil Gibran