Thursday, January 24, 2008

My thoughts on Ramage

So far, I've really liked Ramage. Rhetoric is not like any other text book (if you can call it a text book) that I've ever read. I like how he has a conversation with you, rather than just stating the facts. Using as many examples as he does really helps me understand what he is talking about, rather than just giving a vague definition and not really explaining it any further. However, he does babble on and on sometimes and you have to wonder what his point is, and I get frustrated sometimes when reading some sections.

One passage from out last assignment really called out to me. "By forcing ourselves to accommodate divergent views, even if doing so forces us to challenge the beliefs and assumptions of our audience, we are forced to engage our creative powers and enrich our audience" (79). I think this really backed up our last class discussion. The first day of class when everyone defined what they thought rhetoric was, nearly everyone said that it was the power of persuasion or a form of communication. We have the power to change a person's opinions, beliefs and even values with mere words.

No comments: