Thursday, January 24, 2008

Ramage

So... Ramage. Actually, despite the first chapter being a complete mess to understand, I have found the two remaining chapters on the most part, coherant and easy to read. I'm an 'examples' kind of reader- so the more Ramage shows me through examples, the more I understand. As Ramage begins to explain what I assume will be more of the different types of rhetoric, I find myself stuck in the part about Persuasion.

At the college I recently transferred from, one of my last classes was called 'Persuasion,' yet we absolutely never talked about rhetoric. Perhaps if we had, I thought last night, I wouldn't feel so completely like a fish out of water in this class, not knowing where we're going. And all of a sudden, as I thought about my mini 'control' issues, I realized this is exactly what rhetoric is. CONTROL. These different outlets, like persuasion and propeganda and even coercion or literature, all have to do with the control of rhetoric.

Obviously, some of these things are not as great as others. This connection to words and thoughts and how people think is so relatable to our everyday life, and what we see around ourselves. It forces us to think that maybe how we feel & see & what we believe is more than likely a product of rhetoric. And that? Is really cool to me.

No comments: