Monday, September 11, 2006

The Rhetorical Question?

Whats up everyone! My name is Chris Costello and I'm an electronic media major in my junior year at KU. I can proudly say that this is my first official blog post. Anyway, this Ramage guy is very unique to say the least. Although he refuses to offer a straightforward definition of rhetoric, he certainly gives the reader a confusing crash course on the subject. Like him or not, he does have some valid points about the morality of rhetoric. He says there are no gatekeepers or codes of conduct in this discipline. For this reason, I feel that rhetoric is too often used for immoral purposes and selfish propaganda. Audiences may not have the knowledge and awareness to read between the lines. Politicians usaully come to mind when discussing this topic. I'm not saying rhetoric is always immoral or misleading, but it does lack ethical boundaries. Ramage even says that "rhetoric encourages agonistic behavior." Is rhetoric bad or good? I'm not sure if I know the answer to the rhetorical question yet.

No comments: