Friday, September 08, 2006

Go Go Gadget Blog Post!

Well this is certainly exciting, I can't say I ever expected to be using a blog for a college course. It's nice to see technology being used to its extent, exploring possibilities that it wasn't originally intended for. The Internet after all was conceived as a tool for research and communication so it's only fair to use it as an open forum for educational purposes.

On the other hand I could be talking out of the side of my mouth, maybe even using rhetoric to convince not only you, my composition classmates, but also myself that this will be a fun and exciting method of learning how to become a better writer which is obviously what we're all here to do.

I can't say I've ever been too fond of blogs and I'm not very up to date on the blogosphere, and the blogonomics and blogonomitry of blogging and so on and so forth but I am a hardened Internet warrior with some experience and I can recognize how it's changing the way we communicate especially in the sense of instant communication without gatekeepers to hold us back (for better or worse) and instant feedback from sources that are literally global in scale. Of course if you want to look at it from the perspective of Ramage's "Serious People" then it's not changing anything because you can't change anything since nothing that didn't exist before can possibly exist now or should exist now because if it didn't exist before then we obviously didn't need it and why should it exist now?

Anyway, that last sentence gave me a headache. I'm sure the philosophy brought up in the introduction chapter will make for an interesting class on Tuesday. I hope I'm not the only one that's just still just a wee bit confused on the topic of rhetoric.

3 comments:

K. Mahoney said...

to blog or not to blog...a question...perhaps not "the" question, but a question nonetheless. i was talking to the doorman about cybernetics...he was in nomics, i in nomitry.

turns out, we never actually had the conversation...we exchanged classical textbooks. we didn't know how the textbooks were produced, who produced them, or if they were, indeed, originals. probably just copies.

[just a little word play]

HeatherH said...

I don't know about a headache, but I did go through some yelling at the book ("what do you mean by that? How do you get to that conclusion?!") Especially with the theme you brought up about change and things not existing, like when Ramage was talking about the river, or the footrace. There has to be room for change, for the simple example of birth. We didn't used to exist, so therefore we would not be here if a change wasn't made.

lindsay said...

This isn't new to me but for people who don't know how to blog...it can seem confusing.

and as for what rhetoric is, I'm completely with you on being confused because after reading the chapter twice I'm still confused.