Tuesday, September 19, 2006

My short post

As I commented earlier, I'm interested in religious rhetoric and its affect on society. I'm thinking of focusing on one or three areas: 1) Religion's role in American politics. Ex: The president's use of religious terms during secular speeches to the nation, compared with a historical perspective of previous presidents and their own ways of being secular or religious in public speech. 2) International religion. Ex: Pope offending Muslims, Mother Theresa's legacy, Middle Eastern conflicts and their affects on the world's societies. 3) Religion in Hollywood. Ex: Tom Cruise and Scientology, Madonna and Kabala, etc.

The way each figure presents their identity as a religious/celebrity figure is their own rhetorical identity, which I think would be an interesting subject.

No comments: