Thursday, September 07, 2006

My first blog entry (thoughts on "Rhetoric")

Hello, my name is Jon. As you can tell from the title, this is the first time I am writing in a blog. I am from Allentown and am currently a senior professional writing major. For this reason, I am trying to write well in order to prove to myself that I did not choose the wrong major. From what I have read thus far in "Rhetoric: A User's Guide" this course seems like it will be very interesting. I like the philosophical view Ramage takes on the subject of rhetoric. His examples help give a clearer understanding on this complex subject. I find myself relating to the "Rhetorical People" better since we both 'never step in the same river twice' and 'rely on experience' (17). As I read, trying to relate to the author, images of a secluded conspiracy theorist can not be pushed out of my mind. Though I agree with everything he says, it seems as if Ramage is dividing everyone into "Rhetorical People" and "Serious People" and is set on blaming one of the two opposing groups for all the wrongs of the world. This could be because it is only the introduction and he is trying to get across how far reaching the influences of rhetoric truly are. Whatever the case, I look forward to learning more on the subject.

1 comment:

K. Mahoney said...

Hey Jon...being the curious person I am, I'm curious how you see Ramage playing the blame game. I agree, and I think that he acknowledges, that his categories are a little reductive...but I'm curious how you see the shift to "blame."

Anyway, cool to read your thoughts!