Friday, September 08, 2006

My thoughts on "Rhetoric"

Hello everyone! My name is Devon Kramer, and this is my first official Blog post ever! (I hope I do it right!) I just completed the Introduction in Ramage's book. I must say that the book was hard to get into. (Sorry, Professor Mahoney!) I am the kind of person who likes a straight-forward definition for everything, maybe like those "Serious People" that Ramage seems to dislike. So when I read the Introduction and did not find a clear definition of rhetoric, I was...kinda lost. But once I read through the whole chapter I began to form an idea in my head of this mysterious concept. The examples where Ramage compares rhetoric with law and cooking help illustrate his points.
Hopefully reading on will help me to shake off the last of my confusion! See everyone on Tuesday.

1 comment:

K. Mahoney said...

Well, welcome to your first blog! And NO APOLOGIES for saying a book is hard to get into...I know this text is, how should I say..., different...in terms of HOW he writes, the topic of his writing, and the context of his writing. That's part of the inquiry! :-)

Anyway...I've got to go fry some concepts to put in my First Amendment stew.

Cheers!