Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Hey all. I didn't get a chance to post on the blog before yesterdays class, but I'm glad that I didn't. After class I formed some perspective on the book--Chapter 3 mainly--as well as the paper we will be writing in the next week.

I'll start off with the book. Nearly everyone in class who stated that Chapter 3 was easier to read, well I DISAGREE... Kidding. It was much simpler. It didn't feel like we were having to filter through endless ideas and theories, all the while trying to manage through the complex language that Ramage was also hurdling towards us. Thanks, buddy (Ramage). He simplied his chapter with just a few ideas that came to the foreground of our minds: Pluralism vs. Relativism; Coericion vs. Pure Persuasion; and Propaganda vs. Literature. Those are basically the three main elements of chapter 3.

What I really want to focus on in my narrative journey is the whole concept of Propanganda and propagandists. That's the subject where I felt I started to understand what Ramage was trying to say. Ramage states, "While propagandists may sincerely believe that the doctrine or product they promote will best serve their audience--and one of the crucial differences between propagandists and advertisers is the former's sincere belief in the cause--their first commitment is to the doctrine or product rather than to the happiness of their audience." (pg. 77)

This deception holds through with many different areas in life. Salesman do it. Television does it. Policiticians do it. Heck, our teachers might even do it half the time--when they promote a book of theirs, or a piece of work that they do. (It actually happened the previous class prior to this one!!) The dynamic of propanganda is ambiguous, because it can go many different ways. Some use it for their own personal benefit, while others can use it in a matter that can profit the good of a nation.

As far as the paper assignment goes, well, I like the unorthodox approach. I would much rather write something that can be entertaining and academically engaging, then something that is...just academically engaging. haha. This allows us to use our creative minds, our humor, our sense of brilliance, to create something that is compelling to read. I know all of us are capable of doing just that. Thanks, Teach.

No comments: