Sunday, September 10, 2006

My first thoughtful blog

My name is Justine and I am a professional writing major/women's studies minor. I live in Kutztown (thankfully not in town) with my bestfriend, my boyfriend, our dog (Rupert) and our cat (Banjo). I completly forgot that we even had to blog because we haven't had class in a while.
In terms of the text, I can say that so far I'm not a huge fan. Sorry. It shouldn't hurt anyone's feelings, however, because I don't like many of the texts I have to read, mainly because I HAVE to read them. I did like how the book said "There is no Golden Rule of rhetoric, no "DO unto Others." I took this as basically saying that rhetoric is never (or hardly ever) wrong. It is what you make it out to be. There are no right or wrong answers. Also the book uses an example from the comedian Groucho Marx who said, "Those are just my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."
As I read the first chapter I came across P-Dog. This exerp made me laugh because my dog is the same way. He seems to respond to questions but he doesn't. He has no idea what I am saying to him when I ask him why he crapped on the dining room floor, but he can tell from the tone in my voice that I am not happy and therefore he knows not to come near me. This isn't because he is being bad; he doesn't know what bad is. Rupert is just behaving the only way he knows how. It was an interesting part in the book, for sure. Although, it did make me feel bad for getting soooo mad at him. Chances are i'm going to keep getting mad though.
That's all for now until I read the Crowley and Hawhee handout on ereserves.

No comments: