Monday, September 25, 2006

pending.

Ok so first, I'm going to admit right now that I have not been in school mode lately. Not an excuse... just a statement. So this is coming kinda late. Bear with me.

My mind wasn't in gear trying to read Rhertoric. Previously I really just skimmed the chapters and grabbed the examples, but really didn't read into what they might mean. So I decided this weekend to finally seclude myself from all outside noise (I'm an I-pod aholic... so this was hard for me, believe me) and get into the book - and just read til' my head exploded. (It came close, believe me.) But I am glad to say that by really really reading the book, I started to enjoy Ramage's whole style; and relate to his examples.

Chapter 4wise, I am not going to state too much. I'm really focusing on Resemblance and how it ties into rhetoric and the outcome of the audience perception. Like in the SOUA - how they compare Vietnam and Iraq and show how nobody really wants to compare the two - due to the unfavorable outcome of Vietnam, drawing any connotation between the two would definately cause it to become negative; which could definately harm the support from the audience. (Audience was mentioned in Chapter 2, therefore coming to this conclusion made me really feel as if I was starting to lightly grasp rhetoric. Yay.) Chapter 3 was helpful in the sense that I could see how characteristics and identity had influence with persuasion; and vice versa. Society wise, as well as personally when I 've seen myself practice it. Example: I was offered to a concert, but the same day I was previously offered a well paying just-for-that-day job. Lets just say that I need the money. No If's; And's or But's but I still heard myself over the phone say, "Yeaaa! I am SO going!!" I thought about it and realized that if i was a "Serious Person" - I'd be at that job, making a lot of easy money. Paying for food, and books (yes Im still getting books.) and the necessities. But the chance to be spontaneous, the one who doesnt want to look at the map, go with the list, etc. etc.... well theres the Rhetoric person. A "Lover of Experience."

So there it is. My conception on rhetoric so far. Feel free to comment, and I won't hold it against you if you think I am utterly crazy. Ha!

As for the paper? I've got my idea started and it well into the works... just got to find a way to wrap it all up. I'll share tomorrow. Right now I'm still trying to figure out my Haloween costume. :o)

No comments: