Monday, February 25, 2008

We The Pursuaders

We are all walking, talking, and living advertisements. Like many posts mentioned, we see advertisements all around us, our phones, car(s), clothes, etc. Is it our fault though? I don’t believe there is any way not to advertise in some way. Companies rely on the consumer to advertise. From major brands like NIKE found exclusively in big name stores, to Spalding sold in stores like Payless; all companies advertise their product by putting some form of trademark on their merchandise. As I sit here in the kitchen, few things don’t have blatant advertisements or logos. They are the counter top and cabinets, the table and chairs, and some miscellaneous kitchen appliances. I’m sure if I look closely I could find them.

I did like the part in “The Persuaders” where it mentioned how advertises are constantly trying to reach us through all of the clutter and static. Once I heard this I began to think about how athletes and celebrities are vital to advertising. I began to think about how Derek Jeter is also a vital part to the Yankees, Ford, Gatorade, and even AVON. The reasoning: first, people (at least in the Tri-State) love him for his good looks and ability on the baseball field. Second, he is known to be an all around good guy who many could look to him as a role model. Finally, it seems that whenever I look to buy Yankees memorabilia, a majority is often Derek Jeter. Not that this is a bad thing but it shows that we will buy things just because our favorite athlete or celebrity endorses the product.

No comments: