Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Persuaders A Second Time Around

As I watched the documentary in class, I kept thinking about my upcoming project in another class: to design an ad. I have done similar things in the past, but never had a chance to really express my creativity in something before. I based it on one of my favorite TV shows right now, and overall, I am pretty happy with the outcome. I focused on the placement of the visual aid, and the text that had to go along with it. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

The Persuaders was something else I didn't have a problem with. This was the second time in seeing it, and overall I got more out of it this time. I understood how everything has to equal up to something overall, and how the world is becoming a big billboard. Everywhere I look anymore I see an ad persuading us to buy something, sell something, or look into something more. I am sort of getting sick of it, but like the guy said, things will never change. I think the only thing that will change is how the ads look, and how they present themselves to the viewers.

Sad to say I was only in New York two times so far in my life, so I am not all too familiar with the surroundings that were shown in the movie. However, everyday I watch a couple hours of TV, and even though I have DVR, I still see commercials and the little logos on the bottom of the screen, wanting us to watch something else. Some ads seem to be getting more bigger as the years progress, and yet the tinest ones of all can make the difference. It's amazing how a couple words and a picture makes us do things we might not normally do.

Take for example my brother. He is 21 years old and loves to play video games. When he goes online to check his mail, he is bombarded with advertisements on new games or better systems. He has yet to want the PS3 or the Wii for that matter, but only time will tell. He might suddenly see a game that is only on those systems, and then be forced to buy something he hasn't thought of buying yet.

Even nowadays, we are munipilated in buying something that we see on a TV show for example. Maybe our favorite characters are wearing a certain brand, or using a certain type of product. There goes a couple dollars out of our pockets. It's just so hard to believe what the world is turning into without getting caught up in all of the fuss. I guess if we need to buy something, the best way is if we see it first and get used to the idea of what it represents. I hope we just don't get too wrapped up that we forget the better things in life. That would be the worst thing we could do.

No comments: