Saturday, February 16, 2008

Persuade this.

I was thoroughly impressed with The Persuaders, despite this being my second time watching the film (you can blame Prof Bleach!). My brain must have suffered some major damage during finals week last semester, because everything seemed like it was brand new information! Again, I was stunned to find out what lengths people involved with advertising and marketing go to suck us in and make us buy. And every time I shop, I fall right back into this practice- despite knowing this! (IE: the iPod. But it was great present, and it was a successful present, so that's all that matters, right?)

I was especially interested to "re-learn" about branding. In another class I'm currently taking, we have been discussing branding, among those people and places like The United Colors of Benetton, The Body Shop, and even the Godfather himself, Bernays. I was captivated by what the CEO of Saatchi & Saatchi said, about branding developing new connections with our emotional side. So often I think of branding as just "selling the product," and now in two different classes, it's being instilled in me that branding really is about the ability that we have to find, and identify, ourselves with a particular cause or event. And with that identification, comes our "natural" ability to buy the products that that cause stands with.

No comments: