Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Persuaders... Tacos?

So when I wake up in the morning and pry my eyes open to look at my phone to see what time it is and I am visually assaulted by the large bold letters, SAMSUNG, little does my tired brain know, I am a victim of advertising. This goes along with the 2,000 other ads ill see during the day, from the stamp on the fridge, to my car keys, to the label on my toothpaste. Yet i still have very little conscious recollection of them with the exception of obvious television commercials etc. Interesting...

In regards to the film I must say that certain things did tend to snag me more than others. Not to say that other elements weren't important, I think I'm just more self conscious of certain brands and things that actually affect ME. anyways...

Cult OR Brand? The film discussed this ideal a few times I noticed and that we join 'cults' for the same reason we buy certain brands, 'to belong.' Coming from someone who likes to "think outside of the box," this concept is hard to grasp. I like to think that I buy things because I like their function or the way they look on me, if we're discussing clothes. But then again to say I like to "think outside of the box" would mean that I'm not actually "thinking outside the box" because someone has already used that saying prior to my usage and that even fast food taco joints can manipulate it in such away to get their spicy beef, baja chalupa devouring fans to "think outside the bun" and bite into a cheesy gordita crunch extravaganza.

Now that I am hungry lets talk about death...

Estate tax vs. Death tax. This ideal of changing one word to provoke a more emotional, home-struck image is quite fascinating. This goes along with politicians and the usage of climate change vs. global warming. The fact that one word can totally change ones personal feeling and expose emotion displays the true intricacy of advertisement and persuasion in general.

With all that said, and the fact that I could go all night on such things, there is only really one question that still remains with me. Necessities. Companies that track everything we buy, what does it matter to them what brand of bottled water we buy? But then again coming from a Weis employee, the club card is none other than a way to track what people are buying and to spit those Catalina Coupons out at them at the register in order to make them buy more products similar in nature and to come back to Weis. I guess it all makes sense. Find out what people want and then ram it down their throats.

That is all.


Drop the Chalupa!

No comments: