Tuesday, October 16, 2007

We are ALL THE SAME

It is my humble opinion that both LUNTZ AND LAKOFF are the same type of people just on different spectrums. LAoff even mention this is his book on pg 5 when he says
“ these are strange people their positions make no sense, but then an embarrassing thought occurred to me. I have exactly the opposite position on every issue”

However I do feel as if Luntz’s word manipulation is a bit more harmful to the public because it becomes the basis of which every ignorant and uneducated (on the facts) person basis their argument. They hear the words illegals, and that they are going to take jobs and use up welfare. When in reality this has been over stated…NO body wants the jobs…and if they are truly illegals…there is no way they are collecting welfare. The paper work is really gruesome and requires a lot of paperwork and identification. But that is another story.

Sorry about the ranting,

Anyhow, I guess it is not Luntz’s fault that people are so easily moved by words, In his defense I guess it is just the way we have been trained to think….framed.

LAkoff describes framing as getting language that fits your worldview. This is why when ever I hear a view or opinion that does not relate to my world or things that relate to me, or should I say, don’t benefit my people…woman, African Americans, college students, poor, (I kinda fit here )but you get the picture… if it doesn’t fit my frame I am against it.
But that is exactly how everyone feels…its how we live our life. Lakoff even tells us that we vote based on identity which doesn’t have to coincide with our self interest. Which shows that we really think that we are making the best choice, based off how we view ourselves. And who want to think that they are wrong, or not the best choice…lol

Sadly, Americana have just now realized that the government has figured us out to a science and know knows how to pacify us, and gain our trust and have us believing that they have our best interest at heart. But then again so do advertisers, our parents when they want us to eat nasty peas, and sexy guys and girls that you meet at the bar, who want to take you home.
Every one has an agenda…its just up to you to not fall into the trap…REPEATEDLY because we all fall for it once.

No comments: