Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I'm an Elephant!!

So...I'm a little offended at the introduction to this book.

I am a Republican, and I don't knock other people for not sharing my political views, nor do I run around trying to get people to believe what I believe. I get a little irritated, not with the fact that people do not agree with me, that's perfectly alright, in fact, very few people agree with me about anything. What bothers me is the way that Lakoff starts out his whole little book by talking about the foundations of the Republican belief system. In all fairness he does go through the basis of liberal beliefs as well, but the tone of voice in which he describes the basic reasoning behind each camp is dramatically different.

The whole time he talks about the conservatives, he uses a somewhat sarcastic and cynical tone, to the point where even I am questioning my own beliefs. He makes them out to be immoral people who put on this facade of morality through tricky language and veiled actions. So what if I don't believe in funding "social welfare" programs. The way I see it, all I'm doing is allowing people to live for free while I bust my ass to try and make a living for myself. Does that make me immoral for not believing in unlimited programs for people in the US? Why?

When he moves onto discussing the family values of the liberals, we switch from a patriarchal point of view to a "nurturing family" idea. Basically, he paints the Democrats as this peace-loving, socially concerned, family-oriented group of people, while us Republicans become the rotten apples.

I don't know, I may be reading far too much into it, but I think he should have been a little more conscious of the fact that many readers maybe turned off by his almost immediate bias, or at least what i perceived to be a bias. After that first section, I got pretty annoyed, and even though I tried to read what he was saying, I couldn't really focus, I was a little too annoyed.

~Amber~

No comments: