Monday, October 15, 2007

A Battle For The Ages

Just picture it - - Luntz and Lakoff taking their own corners of the ring getting ready to pull out all the punches. Lakoff presents the idea of a frame, and if used correctly one is able to offer views that will stick with the audience. Just as in the title, everyone has a clear and defines example of what an elephant is and because of this there is a stable frame to go along with it. Lakoff presents the idea that the American public responds to the government in the frame of a family and I find this to be extremely true. When I look at my own family there are those subtle hints of democracy with the slight undertone of a dictatorship but family is something that everyone can relate to. Along with this idea, Lackoff describes that although we may feel we have a concrete idea on what views in politics you relate to the most, at the same time your life is run the opposite way. Once again I look at my family. My parents are both liberals and yet when looking at how my brother and I grew up, it was very much in the strict father view.
On the other hand, Luntz is a vocabulary teacher's dream. I have this image of giving Luntz a word and him flipping the pages in his mental thesaurus until he found a word that make everyone jump on board. To tell the truth I find what he does to be genius. There are few times that I am able to find the exact words for what I am trying to say and in doing so I usually follow up my description of things by saying, "you know what I mean?" Luntz would never have to use this phrase. His amunition is words and when he finds taht magic combination, everyone understands what he is saying. When watching The Persuaders we were able to see that by calling it a Death Tax, it reached more individuals. So who wins?

No comments: