Monday, October 15, 2007

dear reader, if you care about social change...

part of your job is to continue this "virtual marketing" and help spread the ideas in this book. I found Lakoff's book to be really great. I thought he was easy to understand and his ideas were really different and quite genius. I found many interesting things in his book, but I found the most important thing that he touched on to be framing. I never realized what an impact framing has on people, even myself. When I hear a candidate from a different party then I support I tend to ignore them and don't give them the attention that I probably should. However, if it is a candidate that agrees with my values and beliefs then I will make time to hear what he has to say. This is a very strange concept. As college students people say these are the days to explore all other ideas that may be different from our own, but if we are trained to ignore the other ideas, how will any of us ever be able to change our opinions? Many people are guilty of doing this, and I agree with Lakoff that we need to spread the word for social change.
Although we are guilty of doing this, the candidates are guilty of doing this as well. They are framing what they tell us to keep our loyalty within their party. What they should be doing is making their policies more accessible to people who aren't sure what party they want to side with. These are the people who don't vote, and they could make all the difference. And even some people who vote don't even know the values and beliefs the party they are voting for stand for. It is our duty as Americans to educate ourselves on these important politics because it could really change things.
Going along with this I found that Lakoff did a great job in saying that truth isn't the answer, because for most people it just bounces off because they don't care to believe something negative about their party. I felt that Lakoff really made it clear that people vote for their values, and people they identify with. They don't vote in self- interest. I think that this is where Luntz comes in because I feel he is part of the manipulation process. Lakoff is trying to get people to see the truth in what they believe in, and Luntz is trying to find ways to mask that truth and manipulate the voter into thinking it's what they believe in.
All in all I really enjoyed Lakoff's book thus far. He had great ideas and really made me think not only as a student but as an active member of society and how I vote. Just remember next time you go to vote, are you voting for that person because of self- interest, or are you just voting for that person because that's the party you've always been loyal to?

No comments: