Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Lippman vs. Bernays

I had some trouble deciding whether these articles were persuasive or coercive. This is one of the problems that Ramage points out that coercion can often be masked as persuasion. I enjoyed the Lippman article a lot more than the Bernays one. I found that Lippman's was a lot easier to follow and understand. I think that his piece was geared toPublish Postwards the common men and woman who felt they didn't have time to vote. Although it was obvious that Lippman felt that more people should be voting, he did seem to show sympathy for the Americans who did not vote for their various reasons. I think that Bernay's audience would have to be a more educated one than Lippman's. I felt that his article was geared towards the scholarly type doing research on the propagandists rather than the everyday man and woman.
Maybe I'm still a little shaky on the difference between persuasion and coercion, but I found both articles to be persuasive. I didn't see any fear-based arguments in either. I also took coercion to be when someone makes you feel like their option is the only one worth considering and I did not get that impression from either of these writers. I did find Lippman's to be a lot more persuasive because he had statistics and showed sympathy which makes people listen.

No comments: