Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Persuasion is All Around Us

I found many of the points brought up in "The Persuaders" to be extremely interesting. I agreed with the idea that advertisement is "cluttering" our society and as each product tries to break through this clutter, they are only adding to the problem. By this stage in my life I am so used to driving down a highway and seeing big flashy billboards that I rarely pay any attention to them anymore, they have become common place and a key part of the modern day landscape. Yet advertisers know that if they do not continue to bombard our brains with endless advertising, they will fall behind. This reminded me of a discussion I recently had in my cultural geography class. The professor showed us a Coca Cola logo written in Hebrew and even though no one in our class read Hebrew we all immediately knew what product the logo was for. This is because advertisers have embedded their campaigns in our minds.
I also found it interesting in the film when they mentioned that the airline company Song was going to have make a new culture around flight. It's amazing that an advertising company has the power to change a society's culture through the media.
Another part that stuck out at me is when Spade was discussing ethos in his one meeting because Ramage also made a point to discuss how powerful a speaker's ethos and credibility was to the persuasion.

No comments: