Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Persuaders

I really enjoyed the persuaders film. I felt like I had an idea of how advertising worked prior, however the persuaders film allowed us to fully indulge into the "behind the scene" action of advertising. It was interesting how the film chronologically tracked Song airline. We were able to see the pre-production and advertising, then we saw the company begin and how consumers reacted. I want to watch the end of the film to see what happend to Song's airline.

I also found the one part about the advertising "code" really interesting. It was almost scary seeing how in-depth advertisers will go into consumer's minds to convince them to buy a product. I wish the "code" wasn't so top-secret because I wanted to see some examples of "code" and if they hold true. However I probably wouldn't know if the code held true because its supposively in our unconcious mind.

One thing I didn't know advertisers used was the meter to tell when certain groups of people agree on one issue. When the one advertising evaluator observed democrats and republicans he could use a meter to see when the majority of the group had a common opion on issue. Then he knew what values, colors, opionons, etc. to use that the majority of people would relate to. That is one brilliant idea and I'm suprised I never thought they used those.

In general, I found the film very intersting but also scary at the same time. Everyone knows how minipulative the advertising world can be, but this film really exposed how ecentric advertisers are when there trying to tap into our minds, to get us the buy their products.

No comments: