Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Luntz Response

I did not mind reading this essay at all, I found it very easy to read and i thought it was laid out well having all the rules in their own separate sections. I did think that most of the things I was reading where things that I already knew. Obviously a person should not have huge sentences with 30 words to make a point. The shorter the better in my opinion.

My favorite rule though was rule number nine. I think that advertisements that use questions as their slogans are extremely catchy. For some reason they just seem to stick out to me because I feel as if it is directed towards me personally. It is almost as if it puts the consumer on the spot, like they really need to take a moment and actually answer the question that is being directed towards all viewers.

I think the most important thing that I read throughout this essay was: "What matters is not what you say, but what people hear." I find this statement completely true. Luntz was smart in my opinion for putting this statement before all of the rules because they all reflect upon it. For example, a person is going to zone out if the speaker is going on forever using big words that go in one ear and right out the other. They are not going to want to listen to a person who only ever has the same thing to say. They also don't care about something that has no point to what they are saying. In all, being straightforward with what it is a person has to say is the best choice.

No comments: